I saw on Instagram a couple days ago another 2017 sewing challenge! I am already joining in the #SewMyStyle which lays out a sewing project a month to make but thought this new challenge would be a good one as well. #2017MakeNine challenges sewists to make 9 patterns of your choice in 2017. One of my big goals for 2017 is to fill my closet with handmade items – I already find myself gravitating towards clothes I made versus ones that I’ve purchased, but between #SewMyStyle and #2017MakeNine I’ll be adding 21 new garments to my wardrobe by this time next year!
To come up with my 9 items I wanted to make I thought about what items my current wardrobe is missing and came up with the following list!
I don’t have any handmade jackets currently and thought that was really an area that I could expand in the coming year. I’m almost done with the Milano Cape by Papercut Patterns, which is a beautiful outwear piece, but I’d really love some jackets to add to it.
1. Kelly Anorak by Closet Case Files – This jacket is just so cute and functional. After making the Ginger Jeans, I know that Heather’s instructions and patterns are so great and fit me really well, so I really look forward to making this.
2. Lonetree Jacket + Vest by Allie Olson – When Allie came out with this pattern earlier this fall, I was in love! Both the jacket and the vest look so great and I’d really like to make both the jacket and the vest in the current year.
3. Claire Coat by Closet Case Files – I am a major fan of J Crew’s RTW jackets and this coat reminds me a lot of what I normally buy from J Crew. Next winter, instead of purchasing a J Crew jacket, I’d love this to be my winter jacket.
4. Chi Town Chinos by Alina Design Co – In my quest to make pants, this one is next on the docket. Another great pattern from the Indie Sew Fall collection and I really like the way the skirt Chi Town Chino pattern is shaping up so I look forward to adding another one of Alina’s patterns to my wardrobe.
5. Birkin Flares by Baste + Gather – I don’t wear a lot of flare jeans, but these ones have really caught my eye. The key for me is going to be getting the length right – I have really short legs and took 4 inches off the Ginger Jeans pattern!
6. Betty Dress by Sew Over It – This dress is so beautiful an depending on the fabric can be more dressy or more casual. I’d love to make one of the original ones and then one with the expansion pack put out by Sew Over it.
7. Cheyenne Tunic by Hey June Handmade – I’ve made a couple of Hey June Handmade’s patterns before and I love them! I have been swooning over this pattern and I such a great weekend shirt. I’d love it in a flannel and in a chambray.
8. Bowline Sweater by Papercut Patterns – This pattern really intrigues me but I’ve been holding off on making it due to how large the one pattern piece is and cutting it single layer. I want to make it in a solid double knit – another great weekend top!
9. Lane Raglan by Hey June Handmade – How comfy does this look? Do I need to say more? I think this will be another wardrobe staple like the Linden.
I hope you’ll join me in #2017MakeNine! I would love to hear what’s on your list.