If you follow along on my Instagram stories from this weekend, I was making all the Hey June this weekend and the Union Street Tee was next on my list. PS Are you joining our #HalifaxHolidayParty??
Since my Search for the Perfect T-Shirt Series wrapped up, I’m always on the lookout for other t-shirt patterns to try. When Hey June re-released it’s Union Street Tee (a big favorite in my series!) I knew I had to make a new version.
So, What’s New?
Adrianna does an awesome job summarizing all the changes in her blog post here – so I’ll give you the Cliff Notes version!
- Inclusion of body measurements instead of just finished garment measurements – I always thought it was kinda confusing only having the finished garment measurements, so I was happy to see a body measurement guide too!
- Inclusion of a FBA piece – I don’t use the FBA piece but I know for lots of pieces this is what set the Lane Raglan apart from the Union so I know people were thrilled with this!
- Optional Chest Pocket – Nice added feature – I probably won’t make one with a pocket.
- Lower/Widen Scoop Neck – I loved this change! I always said I wanted to lower the neck of the Union Street so this was a huge bonus for me. I love where the neckline is now with the new version!
- Sleeves not cut on the fold – I liked the sleeves before, so I’m not sure what the fuss was all about but you can read more about it on the Hey June Blog Post.
My New Union Street
At first I was super hesitant to sew up the new Union Street tee because I loved the old version and I’m a big if it ain’t broke….don’t fix it kinda girl. But, I am so glad I decided to give it a try! There are a lot of things that I think the new version does that makes the t-shirt pattern even better. Even slight changes make a big difference.
My favorite change – the scoop neck. Now I think it’s the perfect scoop! Not too low, not too high – very goldilocks over here.
Let’s talk a little bit about sizing – so I chose to sew up a small, which is the same size that I’ve sewn up in the past on the Union St. The measurements on the small are a 33.5 high bust and 36 hips. I measure at a 34 high bust and 38 hips. So that puts me closer to a medium, but since I usually sew up a small in Hey June patterns, I think it was the right call.
The biggest mistake I made? Probably my fabric choice. I bought the heavier weight knit from Stitch instead of the lighter weight and so the top didn’t drape as much as I would have liked. I think fabric choice plays a huge part of sewing t-shirts. Not a big mistake, but probably not the best choice per se.
You know what I did with this t-shirt thought??? Wait for it…..I hemmed the bottom! It does look better guys – I know I’m super stubborn about hemming, but It was nice. I didn’t hem the sleeves because #lazy.
So there you have it! The new Union St Tee is still one of my favorite tees!
New Union St Tee SUMMARY
Size Made: Small
View: View C
Fabric Used: Bamboo Cotton Jersey from Stitch Sew Shop
Notions Used: None
Ease of Construction: Super easy – didn’t even have to look at the instructions!
Fit: Spot on!